Friday, April 4, 2008

When do you work??

I don't know most of our neighbors very well. Most of my knowledge of them is secondary, from my next door neighbor, or from my kids. Some I've met face to face once or twice, a couple I know a little better. I have lived in close communities before with my dad's job as a kid, and I choose to not know my neighbors well for that reason. I just find that just because you live by someone doesn't make you automatically friends. There are enough people I encounter who I have to exchange pleasantries with and when I'm home, the little of that I have to do the better! This sounds horrible, but it's how I feel. On the other hand, if I saw someone in trouble or needing help out on our street, I wouldn't hesitate to help. So I can be neighborly, just not overly neighborly!

Of the 7 families on the street that I know who the mom is, we have 3 full time workers, 1 almost full time workers, 1 very part time and 2 stay at home moms. One of the full time workers has a pair of teenage twins. She is rarely home, and there is no father there. How long that has been I do not know. I do not know much about their home life, except they are outside or on the garage a lot. One of the boys has struggled in school and is in a charter high school now. Today was the 2nd day he asked for a ride to school because he locked himself out. I obliged. Today he was asking me about why I was home today. What I did not realize when he started asking questions was that he didn't know I was a stay at home mom (something I would have thought was obvious because I'm always home when the kids are and he's outside a lot).

Him: Are you home because of the kids?

Me: (I'm the cute one) Well, yes, I stay home with my kids.

Him: Do they let you work from home or do you work a night shift?

Me: Ummm...I just stay home.

Him: Wow, that's nice your work let's you do that.

Me: No, I mean, I don't work. I don't have a job. I'm always home. (I didn't think I needed to get on my soapbox about while I don't have a money job, it doesn't mean I don't "work", yadda, yadda, yadda... He was confused enough)

It struck me as sad that the kid didn't realize that a mom could stay home just to be with her kids. Part of me thought, wow, you aren't too quick boy, the other side of me felt sad for him. I have sensed he and his brother haven't had attention from their mom in a long time.

Hmmm...was this high or low?? You decide.

4 comments:

Miss Mandy said...

In the midwest, it's common for moms to stay home. Although they're home, I never see them. The midwest is anti-social. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Wawa said...

Maybe they are all just cold!! hahahaha

Jen (a.k.a. motor mouth) said...

Thats sad, really sad. I think it brings me back to being thanksful that I am blessed to stay home for as long as I can :)

Beatnik said...

My wife stayed home as long as she could stand it lol. She actually went to work when she was ready, and teaches Pre-School 2 days a week. I told her it was great she was able to do that teaching 3 and 4 year olds. I asked her where else she could hang out with people her own age and get paid for it. I will be back tomorrow to read up and answer on other posts of your blog.