In the past, The Oscars have been a huge deal for me. I usually had seen most of the movies and felt highly invested in the whole process. I would clear my schedule and no one was to bother me during it. God forbid you call or talk during an acceptance speech (again, God Bless the inventor of TiVo, he holds a special place in this mommy's heart!).
Once I got married Matt got into it with me as well, sometimes we would have our good friends John and Erin over to watch. There was the infamous year of the Titanic bet which I believe Erin and I won, but never collected on??? It's all fuzzy! As I had kids I was able to see fewer and fewer movies just due to time.
Fast forward to this year -- I didn't even figure out the Oscars were on until a couple days before. And I realized I had no idea who was nominated for anything, except I was pretty sure Juno had been...which was the only movie with Oscar buzz I had hoped to see before the Oscars, and that didn't happen. We had already planned to have our friends over that we used to watch the Oscars with but we had no interest in wasting precious adult time doing THAT! I recorded them of course, and watched them later that night in fast forward.....I heard it was the lowest rated Oscars.
I actually thought Jon Stewart did a pretty good job. Politically he's not always on my side, but I can usually appreciate his humor and he makes fun of everyone. Although I missed a good musical sequence a la Billy Crystal, who will always be the ultimate host. Though I think Ellen did one last year too. I really liked some of Conan's during the Golden Globes the last couple years (more on the GG's at the end). Highlight of the event was when he let the lady Oscar winner of the song writing duo for Once come back out and make her speech. I dont' know if that was really his idea or not, but I liked the rebellion of it and the support everyone was giving them. I'm a sucker when the little people win!
One day I'll be back into it again. I think without Golden Globes this year, it was just so anti-climatic. That usually is the "warm up".
Your Oscar observations below....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree, Marty and I were like "who the heck are these people". I was really pulling for Ellen Page in Juno, since I saw the movie, and think it was an amazing break out performance for her. Anyhow, someday, someway I'll get back into them as well. However they have been on a little earlier as the years go by...
Post a Comment