Sunday, March 9, 2008

Do I look like I'm made of money??

OK - Do I look like I'm made of money? I'm SO SICK of getting called by various charities/organizations for money. Within 15 minutes today I received a call from U of Oregon, I'm sure asking for money (I didn't answer that one). Then I got a call that said "Unknown" which I knew probably was a solicitor, it was from the Breast Cancer Society. I told her I don't donate on the phone ... she said, oh mam, we don't TAKE money over the phone.... I guess she was just calling to give me free breast cancer awareness advice? Or? I just said, look, I don't mean to be nasty but we aren't donating to any MORE people right now, so good bye and don't call again. Of course, I pick the Breast Cancer people to get nasty with... I donate to breast cancer when I do the walk in September every year. I donate when my cousin with MS does her MS walk. We donate weekly/monthly to our church. We donate to my son's school (besides paying tuition). Through his school and church we are always doing some sort of charitable work. I occasionally buy things from other kid's school fundraisers. We don't even let our son do baseball or cub scouts fundraising sales, we don't like hitting people up. Plus, the return for the fundraiser is pitiful. I'd rather ask for a monetary donation then to make 20 cents selling an overpriced candy bar. I wonder, when it is enough? I mean, I'm not going to cure breast cancer. I can't feed every kid in Africa. WHEN IS IT TOO MUCH?? Where is the line drawn between helping others and trying to have some savings for family stability??? And where did everyone get my number? Portland State University once called us 2 weeks straight at 7pm and I wouldn't answer the phone. Wow, I wonder how much it cost them to pay the person calling me??

Ok, rant over. Do you want to buy some over priced candy or cookie dough?

2 comments:

Jen (a.k.a. motor mouth) said...

I agree, people call at the worst times, and then want money!!!!!! GRRR!!!!

Beatnik said...

I have an unlisted Number for that reason. But...
I wont let my kids do the fundraisers either. Their teachers probably think we are idiots, but you know what? I can sleep at night knowing my kids arent getting an early education on selling a Junior Mint for 20 Dollars. My kids have asked to be able to sell this stuff and I ask them what is the Best Prize in there for selling the most. Then I go to the Dollar store and pick it up. Seriously though I do buy them if not what they could win, something equivelant. Spares me and them the agony of selling that overpriced crap!
Im with ya!